Turkey Day at the Pink Brick House

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Last 2001 picture








The winos of the family









Here's me and Sister as we're all sitting down for dinner. I'm the one with both red and white wines. It's not the best picture of Sister, but you can see some of her typical things. A cream sweater that she probably drops food on during the meal. Why she ever wears cream, I have no idea. I suppose it's because it's a good color on her, but the girl would get a spot on her if she were covered in plastic. Perfect makeup. Hair pulled into a bun (it started out the day long and curly). Big chunky silver watch. That's my sister.

Me - my hair was way too short at this time. It was technically flattering, but I think it aged me. There's truth to what they say about long hair being youthful. I often looked like a young soccer mom with this haircut. And that sweater - I love that sweater. I still wear it all the time. It's like wearing a bowl of oatmeal. All nubbly and cozy. And a cowl neck - I'll buy anything with a cowl neckline. I had gone shopping with a friend of mine at the end of the summer and saw this sweater in Ann Taylor. It was $88 or $100 - something expensive. I loved loved loved it, but she talked me out of it. Two months later I was back at AT and the sweater was on sale. I bought it immediately and have been thankful ever since that it was still around. Ha - thankful.

Notice that both Sister's and my eyes become rainbows when we laugh? And you can't tell from this picture, but we both have the same smile. I think Sister had just said something so she doesn't have her full smile.

You can see our traditional platter of crudite. I don't know if anyone actually eats any of it, but it's always there taking up space. That weird souffle-looking thing is spoon bread that Mommy's boyfriend (at the time) brought. It was an odd choice and no one really liked it. But we all tried it to be nice.

I can probably guess what's in the white and blue casserole dishes even though they're covered. Thanksgiving is all about tradition in our house. The white casserole should have the green bean casserole in it. The blue one probably has mashed potatoes, although I suppose it could also be the pearl onions. It looks like it's the big blue dish, not the mini Le Crueset that holds the extra stuffing. Which always ends up overcooked. Mommy makes the world's best stuffing. It's not cornbread or chestnut or oyster or any of those other weird "creative" stuffings out there. Just bread, egg and poultry seasoning. Maybe also some milk and salt & pepper, but it's pretty simple and absolutely divine.

Oh - and the plates. The china is a set Mommy's mother (Mama) got from the bank way back in the day. I think it was one of those deals where every time you made a deposit you got a piece? It's not the prettiest set in the world, but I suppose it's not the worst. It's one of the things Alison and I don't fight about who will get it in the will.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:03 AM EST, Blogger Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said…

    What a horrendous picture! But I love the posts thus far!

    Heads up, don't know if you encountered this before, but you'll get spam comments. If you go to your blog "settings" and turn on word verification, it greatly reduces the crap that will post here.

    I'll be sure to take my camera on Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 6:23 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a great picture of debbie, but alison looks silly!!! Way to embarass the sis!!

    Cool that Debbie is now homey blogger-- combo barefoot contessa sandra lee but much cooler and hotter than both. i will be moocher for thanksgiving, not cooking a thing.
    -karin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home