Turkey Day at the Pink Brick House

Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving round up

Thanksgiving's come and gone and I've moved on to Christmas. But I do need to do a final wrap-up of 2005 Thanksgiving.

Wednesday
I took off work this day to cook my sweet potatoes and tart. And also just because I have an excessive amount of leave left for this year. I cleaned my apartment some and made the potatoes. Ellen was on so I decided to cut up the potatoes in my living room. I was happily peeling potatoes and cutting them into chunks when *wham* I sliced open my finger. Totally freaked out. Ran to the bathroom. Blood seemed like it was gushing everywhere. And I didn't know what to do. I rinsed my hand a little but was scared that my lavender scented soap would irritate it. Then I tried to dry off my hand so a bandaid would adhere. But the blood was coming out so quickly. I held some toilet paper against it, hoping that would stop the bleeding a bit, but that didn't really work. Somehow I managed to get out a bandaid and get it on in between the blood rushing out. And then stuck a heavy-duty bandaid on top of the Nexcare one since the smaller one was already getting dark red. And that seemed to stop it. I cleaned up in the bathroom (really didn't get more than a couple drops on the sink) and then went to the coffee table fully expecting blood everywhere and dripping along the floor. But there was nothing. No blood even on the knife. Can you imagine? I couldn't. But I still threw out the chunk of potato I had been working on and cleaned the knife and continued on without incident. Goodness.

The potatoes took such a long time to cook. Probably around 30-35 minutes. Is it my rinky-dink apartment oven or is the recipe wrong? I can't remember what happened in years past so will never know. But if you're looking to do the recipe yourself, allow some extra time.

The rest of the day I lazed away watching TV and doing some minor cleaning. It was lovely. I finally got around to cooking my tart at 9pm and missed most of Veronica Mars because of it. From start to putting it in the oven took 40-45 minutes. And I was constantly in the kitchen, grinding the nuts for the crust, overseeing the cranberries, etc. Although didn't really notice that it took that long. It was fun. I watched Law & Order (or rather, read a magazine while L&O was on TV) waiting for it to cool enough to put in the fridge without getting soggy. Or at least I figured I should let it cool before putting in the frigdge even though nothing said that. But it didn't get soggy so that's a good thing.

Rest of the story to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home